FINAL ROUND: March Madness Poetry Tournament

Published on: Author: Ms. Allesandrine 46 Comments

DUE FRIDAY, April 1, by 10 pm.  Spread the word!
For this FINAL ROUND, please vote for one poem.  You need only write the “title” of the poem; commentary is not required.  See the entire list below for your reference.
HOWEVER, should you wish, please feel free to write a few concise sentences in support of your selection.  Also, it’s okay to cast a vote for a poem that you may not have voted for earlier.  I’ll count up the votes (after-school, lunch-time, or cyber-help would be fantastic) and we’ll determine the top three winners!  Very cool.
__________________________________________________________

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
by E. E. Cummings

I Am Offering This Poem
by Jimmy Santiago Baca

Kindness
by Naomi Shihab Nye

The Arm
by Stephen Dunn

I’ve Been Known
by Denise Duhamel

Love Poem with Toast
by Miller Williams

What We Might Be, What We Are
by X.J. Kennedy

I Go Back to the House for a Book
by Billy Collins

The Pillow
by Li-Young Lee

Rite of Passage
by Sharon Olds

_

46 Responses to FINAL ROUND: March Madness Poetry Tournament Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. I vote for “[i carry your heart with me (i carry it in]” by E.E. Cummings. The Billy Collins poem was a close second, but E.E. Cummings’ writing appealed to me more because it was equally simple, yet more powerful.

2. My vote, after agonizing over this, goes to “[i carry your heart with me (i carry it in]” by E.E. Cummings. My two closest runners-up are “The Arm” and “I Go Back to the House for a Book.” Though, of course, I really love them all and hoped you would, too.

3. My vote is for “Pillow” by Li-Young Lee. However, my other runner-ups were “Kindness” and “The Arm”. “Pillow” was written in a very eloquent yet seemingly simple format; giving it that dreamy-esque feel to it without being too overwhelming.

4. My vote here goes to The Arm by Stephen Dunn. What I liked about it was that it was different, and i believe it is the actual oddness of the poem that drew me in.

5. My vote goes to Love Poem with Toast by Miller Williams, though Billy Collins’ and E.E. Cummings’ poems are very close seconds. I really liked how interestingly written and Mariana Trench-deep this poem was.

6. I agree with Ms. A on this one. It was a tough choice, but I chose “[i carry your heart with me (i carry it in]” by E.E. Cummings.

7. I vote for “I Am Offering This Poem” by Jimmy Santiago Baca. Sorry, Ms. A. I did not know of this blog post, I must have not been paying attention.

8. Sorry Mrs. A for not picking a poem in time but I would still like people to know my vote so here it is. My favorite poem was “I Go Back to the House for a Book” by Billy Collins.

9. Ms.A, your post way back on 31 March has a really cool link! Maybe this would be something that could go up on the now-empty board behind Erin and I?