Excellent journalism from Japan

Published on: Author: Ms. Allesandrine 2 Comments

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15scene.html?_r=1&hp
This is a link to an article about how the earthquake & tsunami have affected individuals in Japan.  I highly recommend it.  Also, click the multimedia link on the left to see powerful photographs. 
This spring we will read the superb nonfiction book Hiroshima by John Hersey, which documents the aftermath of the 1945 atomic bombing.  Hersey profiles six individual survivors.  The parallels to today’s crisis are jarring.  Feel free to post comments in response to the article and the photos.  Also, note that you can read other readers’ comments on the NYTimes site, too.

2 Responses to Excellent journalism from Japan Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. This is terrible. This might be the worst disaster that I can remember happening in my life. I remember 9/11, but I was a bit too young to understand the kind of devastation that brought, and I remember hurricane Katrina, but it doesn’t really seem to compare when I read about the individuals affected by the tsunami. The way that Syunsuke Doi lost his entire family is horrible I can hardly imagine anything worse than that; going to a makeshift morgue and just praying that your loved ones won’t be there, and finding them is a terrible terrible fate. I know what my nightmare’s going to be about tonight.

2. I have recently heard a tremendous amount of information about this terrible incident and it has showed me how disasters can affect humans today. In my elective class, Geography, I did an outline on three articles about this incident and this article happened to be one of them. Also as Amie says, I cannot really remember too many natural disasters accept for Hurricane Katrina. While reading the article, one must realize the example of Syunsuke Doi losing his entire family is one out of thousands of people going through hardships at the time. Just thinking of the incident really makes me think that anything can happen in the world.